Sweet Chilli Eggplant
- 1 lb of eggplants
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of water
- peanut/vegetable/sunflower oil for deep-frying
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped spring onions to garnish or
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro to garnish
Slice the eggplant in quarters lengthways. Liberally coat each eggplant slice with cornflour.
Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 175°C/350°F.
Carefully place the eggplant in the oil and fry in batches. Cook for about five minutes making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Using kitchen paper, drain the excess oil from each slice and set aside.
Ladle out a tablespoon of the oil from the wok and place in a separate wok or frying pan. Fry the garlic and ginger on a medium heat for one to two minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. Then, stir in the Sweet Chilli Sauce, water and soy.
Add all the eggplant slices to the pan and coat with the Sweet Chilli Sauce, water and soy mixture.
Remove from heat and serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, spring onions and cilantro.